1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

Update Single Page App Progress + Up Next

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Eric, May 9, 2015.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

Hey All,

Just wanted to give a quick update on what we have been working on, yes we are still working on the game!

We have, and when I say we I mean mostly Char has bitten off quite a bit work with this next update we are working on which we are calling the "Single Page App" project. Why are we working on this? Well, it will provide some benefit to desktop players like faster page load times but will dramatically improve play on mobile and tablet devices and is a required step to get us into the app stores. Right now for desktop players, we load the game through an iframe and this will be updated to a single page with the game loading through a <canvas> element which in itself will dramatically improve load times of track pages.

With the Single Page App release you will also get the new and improved editor!

We are aiming for a release next week, but to hit that we don't have much room to address any new bugs that may fall out of testing, so would put likelihood at about 50% at this point.

With the new update we fixed a couple bugs that we expect may break some replays, we expect that some replays that use checkpoints will no longer work. We are doing this to make the replay system better moving forward as we suspect that that was already causing some to fail in the first place.

So after this major major release "Single Page App" + New Editor, there will be some well deserved breaks going on but see attached screenshots as one of the projects coming down the line, removal of tabs to make other track categories like "Featured" more visible.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ConnorMcInnis, FOIL, Minus and 16 others like this.
  2. Elibloodthirst

Elibloodthirst You're about to miss EVERYTHING VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    You need to swap out recently played with featured. I honestly don't think many people are gonna go back to what they've recently played straight away.

3. Eric

Agreed, don't look at the categories but the layout is where we are going.

Kind of like youtube / netflix where you have a stream of categories that may be different for each player.

Example, where order and category would change / be random for players with Campaign always being top spot until they are complete:

1) Campaign - Whatever Campaign you are currently on, if you have done them all will not show
    2) Trending / Hot
    3) New
    4) Featured
    5) Subscribed Author #1 OR if not subscribed random official author
    6) Biggest
    7) Subscribed Author #2 OR if not subscribed random official author
    8) etc....

4. Elibloodthirst

Elibloodthirst You're about to miss EVERYTHING VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Here's probably gonna get people to go around the most, people got short attentions, featured is the thing here that's gonna inspire, trending at the time might be some 5 second +1 for more H^ to win stuff. or, you guys should make it movable like youtube. Anyway here's probably the best for all users (IMO, I'm not taking hits at you).

1) Campaign
    2) Featured
    3) Trending / hot
    4) New
    5) Sub
    6) biggest
    7)Official authors
    8) Whatever y'all gonna put in.

BlobGuy, FOIL, kadinl14 and 8 others like this.
  5. Joelbmx

Joelbmx Well-Known Member Official Author

Yeah featured needs to be in front of trending.

Also I played on a smart phone for one of the first times today and I found that you can't move the screen around to look at the track. Will this feature be added?

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  6. ThreeAreFour

ThreeAreFour Well-Known Member Official Author

Eric, will switching from iframe to canvas element mean we won't be able to embed tracks anymore?

Dakoziol-2nd likes this.
  7. RiderExtreme2

RiderExtreme2 Well-Known Member Official Author

Looks fantastic! Will the campaigns be released around the same time? I also love that you are adding features to benfit officials. However, I think Eli has some valid points and ideas. I also don't understand the way the sub section will work.

ERA_Group likes this.
  8. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

No, embedded tracks will still be available.

9. Polygon

Polygon Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    looks great!

10. Stig

Stig Stig VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    you should have an own category for my tracks

11. Stig

Awarded Medals
    call it elite author, god author, legendary author, or just stig

Cynic, Dakoziol-2nd, Jgeleta1 and 2 others like this.
  12. Stig

Awarded Medals
    inb4 anyone says traced tracks category

13. RiderExtreme2

RiderExtreme2 Well-Known Member Official Author

I think we should have a Stig Campaign

14. alexander

alexander Well-Known Member VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    WheelieMaker come thru

15. Sono

Sono Well-Known Member Official Author

Lookin hella sexii.

16. Eric

Just to give an update, Char has been working like a mad man and we are making good progress. We will likely need the rest of this week to test and polish with the goal of releasing Tuesday morning, will update later on this week.

FOIL, Dakoziol-2nd, Timrp and 7 others like this.
  17. Polygon

Polygon Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Can't wait to see what the new editor will be like!
    I want you to release it early so I can waste my day with it...
    but I also have finals so I may not get any studying done if you do XD

18. Dakoziol-2nd

Dakoziol-2nd Well-Known Member Official Author

I can't see the screenshots for some reason, but it sounds FANTASTIC!

Last edited: May 15, 2015
    Flying_T_Rex likes this.
  19. Dakoziol-2nd

Dakoziol-2nd Well-Known Member Official Author

Different commputer, I can see the screenshots, and they're FANTASTIC!

20. Eric

**Update**

We are getting pretty close to feature complete and are starting to tackle bugs + testing.

For us Canadians, this weekend is a long weekend which means next week is a short one with some of us taking a couple extra days, because of that we will be looking to release the new editor and single page app May 27th.

I do apologize for this long span of no real visible changes to the game, the new editor + single page app has been a HUGE project but will be well worth it once we get it out the door.

Dakoziol-2nd, jgun_ter, Sono and 5 others like this.