1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

New Feature Editor (REDO UNDO)

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Char, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

Alright, the time has come, thank you for your patience. Redo / Undo is back and better than ever.

Hotkeys
    Undo

CTRL + Z
    Redo
    CTRL + Y

[​IMG]

- Char

kniest, FOIL, StealthNation and 22 others like this.
  2. pssst

pssst Forum Legend Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    sweet

3. Polygon

Polygon Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Oh dang. I'm really sorry to say this, Char, because it looks like you worked really hard on this, but to be completely honest, I liked it when undoing would just remove (or place, if you are undoing the eraser) one single line.

But don't worry, because now that I think about it, I don't have any good reasons for liking it better.

Dakoziol-2nd likes this.
  4. Polygon

Polygon Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Okay. I've figured out why I like it better the old way. This is my opinion on what tools should be undone the new way.
    • Lines: Doesn't matter. Both ways are the same.
    • Powerups: Doesn't matter. Both ways are the same.
    • Curve: The new way is better. I sometimes accidentally place a curve instead of a line, and it's really nice to be able to undo all of it at once, rather than having to do it several times.
    • Brush: I can't really say because I've never used the brush, but it seems like it wouldn't matter.
    • Eraser: The old way is better. I say that because I don't naturally let go of the eraser button between erasing things, and it was nice to be able to undo only the last thing I erased because if I made the smallest mistake, I could just undo it. But with this system, I have to undo everything I just erased, and then erase it again.
    So I guess it's not a very big deal. I can easily just deal with the new way.

Dakoziol-2nd and Cryogenic like this.
  5. Char

Thank you for your feedback. I would just remember to release the mouse button when using the tools. Its almost like a 'save' action. Id like to see more peoples opinion on the matter before changing it.

6. THEend

THEend feared and/or loathed in seven states Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    But why is redo ALL the way over on 'y'? I don't see anything wrong with Ctrl+X for redo... in fact I prefer it :p

Dakoziol-2nd likes this.
  7. Velksy

Velksy Well-Known Member Official Author

Ctrl+Y is simply the go to hotkey for redo which almost everyone will know instantly. Same reason why Ctrl-Z is used as undo. Almost every program from Microsoft office to Photoshop and Blender use the same hotkeys.

8. Sono

Sono Well-Known Member Official Author

Ctrl+X is cut, bro. Even though it doesn't do anything in the editor, people would still get confused.
    However, I have seen programs use Ctrl+Shift+Z for redo. Could this be a possibility, Velksy ?

Dakoziol-2nd likes this.
  9. IsaiahRed

IsaiahRed Well-Known Member Official Author

10. Skeeny

Skeeny Well-Known Member Official Author

Thank. You. Char. :)

mbaer20 likes this.
  11. Velksy

Velksy Well-Known Member Official Author

Yeah for sure, as someone who uses Photoshop(Ctrl-Alt-Z for Undo, Ctrl-Z for stepping forward and back) I understand the desire for the hotkeys you are accustomed to. However, everyone has their personal preference and it may be easier for us to enable custom hotkeys than to set up so many different options.

12. Dakoziol-2nd

Dakoziol-2nd Well-Known Member Official Author

Thanks Char for your hard work! Things are really coming together. However I really like how Polygon pointed out that the method of deleting (one line at a time, whole thing) isn't benificial in all circumstances. So I thought: undo all for curves, undo one at a time for draw. Maybe even a button to toggle it.
    Again, thanks Char ! :thumbsup:

13. Char

Thanks. Yeah i'll give it some thought. It's easy to change.

Dakoziol-2nd likes this.
  14. MaxwellNurzia

MaxwellNurzia Casual Member

Great feature Char. I like the GIF.

15. Todredrob

Todredrob Well-Known Member Official Author

That's not out for iOS is it?

16. Char

No, I am going to look at that in the next couple days.

RiderExtreme2 likes this.
  17. Todredrob

Todredrob Well-Known Member Official Author

K
    also hey you check my nooooo thread what was the coding problem plz tell me

18. Char

Redo undo is complete on mobile.

RiderExtreme2 likes this.
  19. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Don't Ctrl + Y and Ctrl + Z do things on most browsers?

20. Char

I have yet to run into an issue.