1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Controls (Tablet + Phone)

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Eric, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

Hi all!

We have received some great feedback on mobile controls and plan to make some improvements this week. Ultimately we would love to add controls to settings where players can choose button size individually (cycle through 3 sizes small/medium/large) as well as moving controls anywhere on the screen, we plan to do this but it will be added well after we get the game out of beta as that would require a fair amount of dev.

Until we have the "ultimate" control settings, we plan to the best one size fits all controls for tablets and phones. Below is what we are planning to push out this week but would love your feedback before we do.

Key changes in the mock-ups below:
    • letters are used instead of symbols, should be clearer for new players (A-accelerate, B-brake, L-left lean, R-right lean, Z-switch)
    • tablet vs phone layout, tablet angled was decided internally to be more comfortable playing vs on a smaller device
    • moved the switch to where the restart is now and moved the restart to top left

Tablet:
    [​IMG]

Phone:
    [​IMG]

Corn likes this.
  2. DarkPlant

DarkPlant Member

Personally I would just add arrows instead of L, R. For the newcomers. But like always I have bad Ideas :confused::(

speedy__XD likes this.
  3. Blaze06h

Blaze06h Well-Known Member

I agree. Symbols are simpler, that is, if you make them simple.
    Also, I think in the Tablet controls, the "Z" and "L" should be swapped, "but like always I have bad Ideas".

4. Eric

Do you 2 play on a phone or tablet? If so, what kind (iPhone, iPad, Nexus 7, etc)?

5. speedy__XD

speedy__XD Well-Known Member Official Author

I agree accept I would leave the "Z" and "L" cuz the way it is is cemetrical to "A" and "B" which are the opposite :p Just my thought

6. Blaze06h

I actually don't. I always find keyboard/mouse the best for almost anything, because I'm pretty used it.

Good catch, didn't notice it.

speedy__XD likes this.
  7. DarkPlant

DarkPlant Member

No, I only play on the pc atm.

8. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

New controls are out.

Ira and Eric like this.
  9. DarkPlant

DarkPlant Member

I would really appreciate if you make it able like this:
    -When you hold up and left in the editor(pc), when trying out the track, hold two buttons whilst pressing spacebar(pause). For example:
    holding up/w riding and then press space, whilst holding up. Ask me if you don't understand what I mean and I'll try to explain different.

LikeaSir likes this.
  10. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

I understand what you are saying. Will look to implement / fix this

DarkPlant likes this.
  11. LikeaSir

LikeaSir New Member

[​IMG] I think the controls were EXTREMELY difficult at first but after a while I got used to it and now Z is in a much more convenient spot.

DarkPlant, Blaze06h and Eric like this.
  12. LikeaSir

LikeaSir New Member

Lol... WAY TO BIG!

13. THEMONSTER

THEMONSTER Member

:mad: ARROWS , NOT Z AND R. THAT'S WHAT YOU SHOULD DO , RIGHT NOW !!!! :mad:

14. Eric

Arrows for mobile devices? We had that previously but found it was confusing for new players, so we switched the symbols of letters. For example, the right lean was being confused with accelerate. At least now with letters we can explain them better "A"-accelerate, "B"-brake, "R"-right lean, "L"-left lean and "Z" just because "Z" is used on keyboard and used in a lot of maps.

15. THEMONSTER

THEMONSTER Member

So why don't you make arrows , OPTIONAL !? :)

16. Blaze06h

I 2gree...

17. fil

fil Active Member Official Author

This is becoming way too confusing.Here is my idea for this:
    Top row(in order):A L R
    Bottom row(in order):B Z
    That way the left hand can be for a and b and the right for l,r,and z.The reason why i think this way is because I keep on confusing the z for l.
    I also support this:

18. FREEZ

FREEZ Well-Known Member Official Author

I like letters better actually. it gives it more of an arcade game feeking.

19. FREEZ

FREEZ Well-Known Member Official Author

YES about the OPTIONAL thang!