1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

Update New campaign tracks (yesterday's news) and more

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Eric, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

hey all, yesterday we pushed 5 new tracks into Campaign 2. We had a shortlist of tracks that we were going to push into campaign 3 but until we have a full set of 2 stepping into 3 may be a little challenging.

we selected tracks based on a number of things, but one of them was "Completion Rate" which we used to help decide the difficulty of the track, you can view a tracks completion rate under the "Show More" link under description. Completion Rate is unique first completes / unique first plays which will give a percent. So take Road to the Star I that has a completion rate of 0.83 which essentially means that 83% of the people that play it can complete it. Compare that against one of the tracks we shortlisted for Campaign 3 based on difficulty (may even still be too difficult for 3) Royalty which has a completion rate of 23%. This is a new stat so for older tracks may not be reporting accurately until they get some more plays. But all you authors out there keep an eye on your completion rate, challenging tracks are awesome and I enjoy them but we don't want to get players frustrated too early in the game.

And to remember what it is like as a new player scan through this players play through of the game where they get stuck on SLD EASY shore trainer in the campaign:

Other than that, keep the Campaign 2 + 3 entries coming and for those that have already entered your tracks may be shortlisted but just didn't make the first cut for the release we did this week, we will be adding more next week. We want to see the types of tracks the new curve tool can lead to, along with the zoom improvements. If you have any other track editor improvements let us know!

have a great weekend everyone!

2. Maple

Maple Love to draw VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    smh damn didn't know newbies were tht bad... checked Distinctive completion rate 0.2...

Charles likes this.
  3. speedy__XD

speedy__XD Well-Known Member Official Author

I love being able to see the completion rate :) although I am surprised by some of them :confused:

Charles likes this.
  4. Max007x

Max007x Forum Moderator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Strats intro has a 0.93 completion rate, which means that people fail to complete a straight line? :v

divod123, Ficus, Cryogenic and 3 others like this.
  5. Max007x

Max007x Forum Moderator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Oh and maybe my track should be in the third campaign instead of the second? It's a lot harder and has a 69% completion rate with the second hardest track having like a 77% completion rate. I think a lot of players are going to rage there :/

6. FREEZ

FREEZ Well-Known Member Official Author

this may sound like a really stupid question but how do you see the completion rate?

7. Max007x

Awarded Medals
    Click show more under a track, eric just said that in his post ^

8. FREEZ

it says this:
    "Description:
    ANOTHER updated. I received feed back that 1.4 was too cluttered, this should fix that. also made a little more track toward the end. As always, Enjoy! plz rate +1 and share, feedback welcome

Size:
    26kb

Allowed Vehicles:
    MTB, BMX

Average Time:
    0:36.33"

no completion rate

9. Max007x

Awarded Medals
    That's strange, for me it's under average time...
    I'm using chrome, maybe you're using a strange browser or something haha.

10. Eric

That is correct, 7% can't figure out to press accelerate which is really on us to provide clearer instructions / objectives on the early tracks. It is difficult to remember what it is like to play Free Rider for the first time, but for many players controls are not intuitive and objectives are not clear.

11. FREEZ

nope. im using chrome too

12. Max007x

Awarded Medals
    I have the same problem on some tracks. It doesn't seem to appear under every track. I don't know why ?

13. FREEZ

hmmm

14. Eric

Ya, it is definitely a difficult track but thought it would be a nice one to cap off the second campaign. We will wait to see what other tracks will make it into campaign 2 before adjusting but we will be watching the numbers carefully. Aiming for 70% to be the most difficult track in Campaign 2, others would be good to have a mix of +80%.

One thing is we may need to revisit campaign 1 to add some easier tracks to ramp up the progression a little slower than it is now.

15. FOIL

FOIL Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Hmm... Seeing that video inspires me to do something way easier. e; I like how my campaign 1 entries got like 1 or 1.17 on their competition rate :p

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  16. Eric

we just added the stat recently so new first time plays / first completes would have to come in for the stat to start to register.

17. FREEZ

ah

18. Maple

Maple Love to draw VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    I think its fine, new players need a challenge(of course nothing to ridiculous) even though it can be difficult 4 them it will make them get better. If they go through frhd without given challenges at the end of it all they still be a bad player

FREEZ likes this.
  19. Max007x

Awarded Medals
    Yeah having hard tracks in the campaign seems cool to me but if the difficulty curve is too steep then people will just rage quit. Right now the 16th track you play is quite a difficult one. You only have ~20 min of gameplay untill you're supposed to be able to beat it. Having more tracks before that should make it a lot more fun for new players. I sure like a challange but if you're completely new to this game then you may struggle a lot.

20. ThreeAreFour

ThreeAreFour Well-Known Member Official Author

Not really, the instructions are more than clear. The issue is that people select a track and just decide to go do something else, be it another track or something that isn't this game.
    This becomes a much bigger problem for any track that almost requires more than one attempt to beat. My track has a 0.1 completion rate, but I'm definitely sure it could of had a 0.3 or 0.4 if some people put the effort into beating it rather than trying a single time and giving up, then going on to go look for a hold up track because they're too lazy to do anything like leaning.

FREEZ likes this.