1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

New Feature Curve Tool In the Works

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Char, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

Here is a preview of what is to come.
    New Curve Tool :cool:

[​IMG]

For those wondering how it works.
    A curved line must be broken up into line segments as shown in the following picture.
    [​IMG]

Hopefully this will positively impact the quality of tracks created :thumbsup:. Thoughts ?

Edit
    In addition to this, more zooming capabilities and smoother zooming is coming.
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: May 28, 2015
  2. FOIL

FOIL Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Cool bezier curve thing!

3. ThreeAreFour

ThreeAreFour Well-Known Member Official Author

This will make the current hard work that track authors put into their curves pointless.
    If someone so much as made a slight mistake in their curve without using this tool, newbies will look down on it even though the majority of them can't make a ramp with more than six lines using the straight line tool. It essentially takes us one step closer to track making becoming talentless, which in turn makes truly impressive tracks become ignored, but other than that it's fine and will even be a useful tool. No more of the earlier mentioned six-or-less-lines ramps.

Cryogenic, Maple and speedy__XD like this.
  4. Char

That may be true as far as talent of making ramps, but you have to think about the overall quality of tracks on the site. Track creators will now be able to focus their talents elsewhere, rather than spending 30 minutes to do what this tool does in 3 seconds. Good tracks will always be good tracks.

FOIL, Eric, Pityboy and 1 other person like this.
  5. speedy__XD

speedy__XD Well-Known Member Official Author

I understand 3r4nd0n 's point :) But I also think this is a very cool innovation, I like all the effort you guys are putting into this game :)

Cryogenic likes this.
  6. Pityboy

Pityboy Well-Known Member Official Author

I like this, but I'm also waiting for the zoom scale to increase. That will also improve track quality.

7. Max007x

Max007x Forum Moderator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    You know, I actually like this. I always though that drawing smooth curves was the most boring part of making a track. This puts the focus more on level design and detail which imo is a good thing !

Eric, FREEZ and Char like this.
  8. Char

Just edited original post, check it out. More zooming, and smoother zooming coming.

Pityboy, Eric and FREEZ like this.
  9. Max007x

Max007x Forum Moderator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Good stuff guys !

10. FREEZ

FREEZ Well-Known Member Official Author

more zoom!
    You have a point, but think about it. you will still have to work to make tracks. there is no automatic detail (Fortunately). and also think about the site. this innovation will make FRHD more popular with the newbies. which in turn will give the mods reason to make it even BETTER

Char likes this.
  11. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

Exactly! We are aware of the communities concerns and are being careful to not "destroy" or "wreck" what makes Free Rider great to the current community.
    For example, there have been suggestions of "adding blood" or "adding color". Both are things that seem cool and may work for other games but isn't necessarily right for Free Rider.
    That being said, we want to enable authors with an editor that will allow them to great Free Rider tracks, hitting some of the pain points like creating smooth curves so that focus can be put on level design and detail. Talented authors that have skill in drawing will always outshine those with their creativity and detail but hopefully with this curve tool we will see less squiggly lines at a less experienced track authors attempt to a first track that will encourage him or her to continue developing into a decent author instead of quitting in frustration.

Max007x likes this.
  12. Sono

Sono Well-Known Member Official Author

I will probably never end up using this tool. Making curved lines is easy for me, and this tool takes away the creativity and uniqueness of my track.
    I have to say though, it's a pretty cool tool. :p
    PS. That zoom.. <3

speedy__XD and Char like this.
  13. Reborn

Reborn Well-Known Member Official Author Rotten Flesh

Awarded Medals
    im gonna have to get better at detail, cause when this tool comes out, everyone will be able to make smooth tracks as well:/ Im gonna go take some art classes

armator, FOIL, Char and 1 other person like this.
  14. Maple

Maple Love to draw VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Haha the things u do for FRHD

Char likes this.
  15. FOIL

FOIL Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Me too.

16. weem

weem FREE RIDER LEGEND Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    so much for effort haha. looks like frhd is becoming paint with a rider

armator and Maple like this.
  17. speedy__XD

I too think I will rarely use this :p But it is still cool :) I am interested in how well it can make a half pip though :p but one thing is it won't make the best landings ;) It might be good for the take off but you will be able to tell if someone put in the effort to make an old style ramp :) I think it is good for the community and you can use it or not, it's up to you ;)

Char likes this.
  18. Char

Yeah you guys don't HAVE to use it, it is a tool for your tool belt.

FOIL, Sono and speedy__XD like this.
  19. speedy__XD

I am just exited to see what it can do :) and also the new zoom :D

20. speedy__XD

Alright who is responsible for making the red dot more accurate?? You thought I wouldn't notice that didn't you :p Well I did! and I like it :thumbsup:

ThreeAreFour likes this.