1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

Track Creator Wireframes for feedback

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Eric, Jan 16, 2014.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

Hey all, as promised below are some wire frames with the current direction we are headed in for the track creator.

Also, here is our list of MUST HAVE and NICE TO HAVE support for initial beta release:

- NICE TO HAVE tablet / touch support (create tracks on iPad)
    - MUST HAVE keyboard shortcuts defined (for all tools) desktop
    - MUST HAVE +/- zoom (extreme zoom! 2-4x that of playing)
    - MUST HAVE tool to grab / move screen
    - MUST HAVE eraser
    - MUST HAVE change vehicle
    - MUST HAVE line tool for scenery, NICE TO HAVE curve tool for scenery
    - MUST HAVE line and curve tool for track lines
    - MUST HAVE UNDO/REDO for lines and scenery
    - MUST HAVE Grid on/off
    - MUST HAVE load track
    - MUST HAVE export track (output code)
    - MUST HAVE clear track
    - NICE TO HAVE improved curve drawing tool (bezier curve, need to collect info from Jose / Ash common drawing tools)
    - NICE TO HAVE improved eraser (improve accuracy of eraser)
    - MUST HAVE change cursor to be relevant to selected tool can still show cursor bout off to side can show icon of current selected
    - MUST HAVE remove pointer
    - NICE TO HAVE visible grid
    - NICE TO HAVE test autos (not break autos on save)
    - MUST HAVE full screen support

This first release will allow players to create tracks and provide feedback, uploading tracks will be disabled until we are confident that the track creator has all the bugs worked out.

Feedback please!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pie42, Cynic and speedy__XD like this.
  2. Eric

010David010 pssst CupCoffee Elibloodthirst Corn niclauzon jaketocake Hashplant Stig TW80000 any input on the wireframes?

Continue to add wishlist items here: http://community.freeriderhd.com/threads/track-editor-wish-list.19

We are looking to tackle some functional improvements with the initial release, like actually selecting Track or Scenery to draw/erase lines. There is definitely lots or room for improvement over all previous versions that we are stoked about! Char even got a prototype of line drawing on an iPad yesterday which is super cool.

Pie42 likes this.
  3. Hashplant

Hashplant Active Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    - NICE TO HAVE tablet / touch support (create tracks on iPad) not concerned, but yes
    - MUST HAVE keyboard shortcuts defined (for all tools) desktop Yes ! Defined by the user ?
    - MUST HAVE +/- zoom (extreme zoom! 2-4x that of playing) YES ! That's a great idea
    - MUST HAVE tool to grab / move screen of course
    - MUST HAVE eraser Yes possibility of changing size
    - MUST HAVE change vehicle Yes
    - MUST HAVE line tool for scenery, NICE TO HAVE curve tool for scenery To me, curve tool is not needed but why not
    - MUST HAVE line and curve tool for track lines Same as ^
    - MUST HAVE UNDO/REDO for lines and scenery YES ! (Especially redo, that could work even if we erase somthing, not only if we first undo, and then redo)
    - MUST HAVE Grid on/off Yes
    - MUST HAVE load track Yes
    - MUST HAVE export track (output code) Yes
    - MUST HAVE clear track Yes
    - NICE TO HAVE improved curve drawing tool (bezier curve, need to collect info from Jose / Ash common drawing tools) ^
    - NICE TO HAVE improved eraser (improve accuracy of eraser) Eraser only for scenery / only for line would be cool
    - MUST HAVE change cursor to be relevant to selected tool can still show cursor bout off to side can show icon of current selected Lol I don't understand, english skills too low :(
    - MUST HAVE remove pointer Ok
    - NICE TO HAVE visible grid Why not
    - NICE TO HAVE test autos (not break autos on save) Ok
    - MUST HAVE full screen support Yes

And playable of course :)

Screen Shot 2014-01-17 at 00.19.20.png I don't like the "sights" and the pencil I believe it's hard draw with it. I would prefer a dot or nothing.

A thing that would be cool : Block any try of ⌘ + R(W) / Ctrl + R (W)
    It so ******* horrible when you close of refresh the browser without having saved your work.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
    Pie42 and speedy__XD like this.
  4. pssst

pssst Forum Legend Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    like hash said, i dislike the pencil and sights. maybe the sights could be optional. personally for me they'd throw me off. also, bezier curves are my dream tool, thank you for including. :)

e; extensive zoom is cool too

5. Hashplant

Awarded Medals
    Why am I not surprised ? :)

Pie42 likes this.
  6. Sono

Sono Well-Known Member Official Author

Looking great to me, guys!
    I'm going to have to agree with Hash and pssst as well.. That pencil thing would throw me off.

Pie42 likes this.
  7. Eric

Pie42 likes this.
  8. Eric

Would a dot be preferred over cross hairs?

Pie42 likes this.
  9. Corn

Corn Active Member Official Author

^ As long as there isn't a pencil graphic I think it'd be fine.
    WASD keys for panning would be cool.
    And inbuilt cloud saving. Not essential but would be awesome.
    Can't tell from the pictures -- is there a way to erase both scenery and track lines, or would you have to do them separately?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
    Pie42 likes this.
  10. Blaze06h

Blaze06h Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with pencil graphic being bad. I might seem like a weird guy. But from what I've seen, people hardly notice it. Crayon Physics also had a similar pencil, when I saw it, I felt weird of thinking of using it instead of a normal cursor, but later when I actually used it, I hardly ever noticed it. It might be a problem when you need accuracy but with the zoom tools, I don't think it will be. My only suggestion about it is to make the cross-hair lines easily distinguishable with the track lines, but making it lighter or darker.
    Like the WASD movement suggestion by Corn.

Apart from that, the editor looks amazingly beautiful and awesome! :)

11. speedy__XD

speedy__XD Well-Known Member Official Author

I'd have to say I could work with the pencil but I would have an easier time without it :)

Pie42 likes this.
  12. Eric

Definitely, WASD + UP|DOWN|LEFT|RIGHT keys for panning missed that one too from the must have. We are trying to go for parity with features like that from FR3 and other track creators (so no loss of functionality) but adding in some additions that we have seen / heard requested that are doable in the first release.

Pie42 likes this.
  13. Hashplant

Awarded Medals
    Pie42 and Corn like this.
  14. pssst

Awarded Medals
    will tracks be saveable in the beta, since you cant upload?

Pie42 likes this.
  15. Eric

You will be able to load and export track codes to save as you do today, phase II we plan to add an additional save to our servers for wips.

Pie42 likes this.
  16. niclauzon

niclauzon Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    - NICE TO HAVE tablet / touch support (create tracks on iPad) That would be awesome, always wanted to draw with a pencil.
    - MUST HAVE keyboard shortcuts defined (for all tools) desktop Keyboard shortcuts are essential, keep the same controls though. Don't fix what isn't broken.
    - MUST HAVE +/- zoom (extreme zoom! 2-4x that of playing) OK that seems nice.
    - MUST HAVE tool to grab / move screen Duh!
    - MUST HAVE eraser Duh!
    - MUST HAVE change vehicle Duh!
    - MUST HAVE line tool for scenery, NICE TO HAVE curve tool for scenery Duh!
    - MUST HAVE line and curve tool for track lines We have been talking about curves on BH for a while now, Hazx already made a script for it.
    - MUST HAVE UNDO/REDO for lines and scenery Make sure to make an undo for erasing lines.
    - MUST HAVE Grid on/off Duh!
    - MUST HAVE load track Duh!
    - MUST HAVE export track (output code) Duh!
    - MUST HAVE clear track Duh!
    - NICE TO HAVE improved curve drawing tool (bezier curve, need to collect info from Jose / Ash common drawing tools) Yeah already talked about that.
    - NICE TO HAVE improved eraser (improve accuracy of eraser) A smaller eraser would be very nice.
    - MUST HAVE change cursor to be relevant to selected tool can still show cursor bout off to side can show icon of current selected ?
    - MUST HAVE remove pointer ?
    - NICE TO HAVE visible grid Oh hell yes.
    - NICE TO HAVE test autos (not break autos on save) You can just save and load to test.
    - MUST HAVE full screen support Duh!
    Nice list guys.

Pie42 likes this.
  17. Hashplant

Awarded Medals
    I've thought about one feature that could be added :
    You've drawn a wonderful castle, tree, what you want, with lines. Then, it happens that you want your rider to though.
    Solution : you erase lines. Some can be so long that erasing a tunnel of size the rider(y) and the length of path (x) will erase like way more that It should have. Then you have to redraw the path in scenery, and the missing lines.

Idea : What about a tool, a brush, that could invert locally scenery/line

I have no idea if this thing is possible. To me scenery/line is just a Boolean so why not ?

Anyway that would be cool

Pie42 likes this.
  18. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

Hashplant Good idea.

Pie42 likes this.
  19. Blaze06h

Also, don't forget the "Fill tool" idea... filling an object with lines is troublesome.

Pie42 likes this.
  20. pssst

Awarded Medals
    no. it would make things way too simple, and if you happen to accidentally use it in open area, it'll crash.

Pie42 likes this.
  21. pssst

Awarded Medals
    no. it would make things way too simple, and if you happen to accidentally use it in open area, it'll crash.

Pie42 likes this.
  22. Blaze06h

You can undo the fill then. Why it'll crash? It's not lines, that'll take up that memory. Think of it like a solid box. Someone else recommended it, who created a level that needed a fill tool.

Pie42 likes this.
  23. Ash

Ash Administrator Administrator Official Author

Just for clarification the idea behind the cross hairs and pencil was that the cross hairs would be the point where you draw from and the pencil would just be an indicator of what tool you currently have selected and would disappear after a few seconds but it doesn't sound like this is necessary. Would it be useful to you guys to have a key command that allows you to toggle between cross hairs and a dot for the cursor view?

dantexpress, RadiumRC, Pie42 and 12 others like this.