1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

Update Random Development Blog

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Char, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Elibloodthirst

Elibloodthirst You're about to miss EVERYTHING VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Goes down in history with your tracks Hun x

2. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

1) Checkpoint system. It was just the way we went. If we were to do it again, maybe we would do it differently. It adds a little more complexity to the game. It also makes certain riders stand out among the best.

2) Front brake. It still exists, just in a different way. Pressing forward and brake does initiate the front brake, just not quite the same. This was 100% due to usability testing, we actually paid for new users to try out Free Rider. Many of the people complained about how when you brake, you flip over, thus creating a 'rage quit' scenario. Thus, it was the right move. We would do it again.

3) Vehicle Powerup. - It's a good idea, and it is more flexible. It is written in a way that we can allow for vehicles to be permanently in the game or as a powerup. Free Rider is a sandbox based game. I think it is a good move, as long as we provide a better way to filter out tracks and show people the content that they want to play. You don't like the powerup? Don't play tracks with them.

Iv completed the powerup. Upon doing so, I actually did make it so it would be easy to add the vehicles as a main vehicle, rather than than a powerup.
    All about flexibility.

The plan is to release it to the offline editor first, then you guys can test it out, play with different ideas before releasing it to the whole community.

FOIL, spruce, codrey and 7 others like this.
  3. Polygon

Polygon Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Sorry I freaked out. I have no excuse besides that I was having a bad day. I can see how it would be really cool now. The only thing I don't like is the time limit. It seems to me like anything with a time limit is a bad idea in this game. I think it would be a lot cooler if when you hit the powerup, you stayed as the vehicle until you hit a different one.

Minus likes this.
  4. jroles

jroles Well-Known Member

bruhs you dont have to appologize

5. Char

haha no I get it, no apology needed.

I see what you mean for the time limit, but think about this.

[​IMG]

Added a slider to allow for a lot of time. You won't need a lot of them. We just thought it might be a fun way to add pressure to the game. Playing around with it, its actually pretty fun.

FOIL, Dakoziol-2nd, codrey and 5 others like this.
  6. jroles

jroles Well-Known Member

wow thats epic

7. Minus

Minus Well-Known Member Official Author

I am so hyped for this you have no idea

8. Polygon

Polygon Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Still not sure how I feel. I think the reason I was so against it is because it was so suddon. Now, I cant wait till this comes out for the offline editor.

9. Char

Try it out tomorrow, play around with it.
    Should release it around noon (PST) tomorrow

:thumbsup:

Minus, Jgeleta1 and RiderExtreme2 like this.
  10. Char

Polygon Made you an official author. Not sure how we missed you.
    Check out the official author forum section.

Jgeleta1 and RiderExtreme2 like this.
  11. OutaCtrl

OutaCtrl Active Member Official Author

Char
    i think it would be awesome to have a trike that is the same size as the BMX or MTB just for an extra vehicle.
    a bit like this but all black and pedals
    non-powered-black_1024x1024.jpg

12. OutaCtrl

OutaCtrl Active Member Official Author

13. Timrp

Timrp Active Member Official Author

I think it would be cool if there was a thing that stopped you from pedaling in between 2 markers. Then we could make cool downhill tracks.

14. jroles

jroles Well-Known Member

omg da best ever

OutaCtrl likes this.
  15. FreeLander2

FreeLander2 Active Member Official Author

I really like this idea. I've been playing a lot of TrackMania recently and these show up every now and then and add a certain challenge that I very much enjoy.

Also, I feel like hitting those power ups that change your vehicle shouldn't suddenly bring you to a halt, but you should carry on with the same momentum, or at least some percentage of it at the time you hit the power up. Either way, I like the idea of these new power ups and look forward to future updates. Keep up the great work!

Timrp and Minus like this.
  16. spruce

spruce Dumptruck VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Is it available now in the offline editor

17. Cerebral_Parsley

Cerebral_Parsley Well-Known Member Official Author

Argh Me God new vehicle power ups are really coming out today?! I hadn't heard about this at all!

Minus likes this.
  18. spruce

Awarded Medals
    Char what time are they coming out Pacific time

19. spruce

Awarded Medals
    I could use the helicopter in my Jurassic park track

Timrp, Minus and Jgeleta1 like this.
  20. Dakoziol-2nd

Dakoziol-2nd Well-Known Member Official Author

I thought about that before, never got around to sharing it. It's an awesome idea and would be really fun!