1. Announcement - Regarding Elite Author Involvement on Featured Tracks - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, we have a new announcement regarding the participation of Elite Authors in the discussion for featured tracks. If you are interested, check it out in the link above.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest,
If you are interested in ghosting, go check the Ghosting Awards for March 2024 Click here to check it out.

Question Thoughts on Ads? + Update

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Eric, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Skeeny

Skeeny Well-Known Member Official Author

I have adblock but I whitelisted the game because I wanna support you guys :) ( Char Eric Velksy )

2. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Next we'll have to watch a 5 minute ad to upload tracks >_>
    But honestly, I'm fine with Ads, as long as they don't affect gameplay, which they don't. If you're not getting enough money (thanks to people using AdBlock), then why don't you make a "Disable-Adblock-To-Proceed-To-Page" thing? I've seen many websites with it.

3. Scarpa

Scarpa Well-Known Member Official Author

are there water restrictions in victoria as well? gawd this sucks!

4. Elibloodthirst

Elibloodthirst You're about to miss EVERYTHING VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    You need the money so eh. Just not too much in my face.

Also yes I'm enjoying my sexy USA summer :*

5. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

No, we are trying to improve gameplay for the average user. We will update you guys soon on what we decide.

Scarpa likes this.
  6. codrey

codrey Guest

I think this is a perfect reason to put in the pop up ads, go ur hardest boys :D

Todredrob likes this.
  7. RealTO1

RealTO1 Active Member

I have AdBlock in my computer.

8. weem

weem FREE RIDER LEGEND Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    i would just install another version of adblock

Scarpa and codrey like this.
  9. Scarpa

lol me too, eventually I felt bad that I wasn't giving them their moneys

Skeeny likes this.
  10. HelplessMoose

HelplessMoose Casual Member

Me too. Once. A long time ago.

I know that it's complicated to develop, deploy, and maintain something like this. But seriously, there are/were several major bugs in this game – e.g. impossible tracks that work in the editor or incorrect leaderboard placement. Additionally, I've experienced dozens of smaller bugs – a few from the "single page app" update come to mind, like friends race achievements not counting or the timer issues. Sorry guys, but you're a game development company; you should catch such things during development and testing, not in production. (There also weren't many major new features (only store and subscriptions, I think) although there were tons of great suggestions in the forums; but that's just a minor point.)

That's why I don't feel bad anymore at all.

Disclaimer: all of the above is based on the time while I was actively playing (Nov 14 to Jun 15), and I never used the editor.

Scarpa likes this.
  11. IsaiahRed

IsaiahRed Well-Known Member Official Author

The update is fun i like it it, should stay until you have a diffrent update. :D

12. TiMartin1069

TiMartin1069 Active Member Official Author

It would only be good to have the adds while a track is loading. Otherwise the current ads are better/impact on gameplay less than the ones you suggested. Also no more than 20sec adds.

Scarpa and IsaiahRed like this.
  13. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

If we did integrate ads in this way, would allow skip within 5 seconds (so while track loading that isn't a huge deal), would enable clean play without any ads on page and wouldn't be on every play either once per session or x plays. We would be very sensitive as to not block on hurt play, we are looking at this option as a way to improve the experience of playing the while still trying to generate some $$$ to put into further development and support of the game.

Scarpa likes this.
  14. Eric

We have had a really dry summer here...

15. Eric

Thanks for the feedback, we could always make it a settings. It definitely depends on the type of ad and computer that is playing it.

speedy__XD likes this.
  16. Eric

Impossible tracks that worked in the editor - this should now be fixed in new editor, correct me if I am wrong
    Incorrect leaderboard placement - we had a couple bugs on release of single page version that was fixed and leaderboards scrubbed
    Friends race achievements - fixed

Single page app was a huge overhaul, basically the game was re-written in combo with the new editor to support faster additions in future and launch to mobile devices. We are a small indie dev team, 2 of us write code and Char takes on all game dev, we did a fair amount of testing but got it to a point where we caught all major issues and knew releasing it would highlight any issues left that could be fixed on the fly.

There have been a ton of great suggestions on the forum, and a lot of them implemented. Again it comes down to the size of the team and prioritization of features/fixes. We definitely are developers that listens too and acts on players feedback (case in point I am talking about a potential ad change here), if you feel we aren't doing a good job feel free to message me with some specific feedback for us to act on.

Yovak1 and codrey like this.
  17. Scarpa

yeah, it sucks with all the water regulations and stuff... apparently rain is forecasted for next week though, hopefully it actually does rain! (this is Vancouver I'm talking about btw)

Eric likes this.
  18. jroles

jroles Well-Known Member

did u guys add ads to the game on chrome cause a but load of ads keep poping up

19. iTzChuckNorris

iTzChuckNorris Forum Legend Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    is it possible to add a "watch 5-10 minutes of ads" to be ad free for a week ? or would the ad companies not like that

Todredrob likes this.
  20. weem

weem FREE RIDER LEGEND Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    the ad companies prolly wouldn't care, but the frhd devs would cuz they're making less money