1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

Question Thoughts on Ads? + Update

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Eric, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

Hey All,
    Hope you are all enjoying the warm weather (if it is where you live) and are not out starting any forest fires, etc...

Wanted to give you a brief update and get feedback on Ads for Free Rider HD.

First update, we will be working on the Offline Editor for Chrome and prototyping the iOS app. We will continue to makes some refinements to the layout of the game etc (like we have been doing) but we won't be releasing any big features until we make a lot of headway on the iOS version.

Ads
    We just started to test out some new interstitial ads on Facebook and wanted to get player feedback. We have had feedback that certain types of display ads currently ran on web interfere with performance of the game, this is something that we definitely would like to avoid.

Couple questions:
    • would you prefer to see an interstitial ad like the one below either on pre-load of game or in-between levels as opposed to the display ads being run now?
    • have you encountered issues with current display ads on web?
    • any other thoughts?
    With the interstitial ads you would be able to exit the ad early (5 seconds or so in) or if you like / are interested in the video you can watch it. Similar to how youtube works but we would only show x ads per session.

Anyways, wanted to get some feedback, so feedback away!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

IsaiahRed and Skeeny like this.
  2. THEend

THEend feared and/or loathed in seven states Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Please, I beg PLEASE do not put those interstitial ads in there. It rustles my jimmies when YouTube does it, interrupting the gameplay is just a nono

Phase, Elite_Rider, kniest and 10 others like this.
  3. Sono

Sono Well-Known Member Official Author

Is this just for the Facebook version, or will the actual site have this as well?

4. Eric

Agreed, we would be very concise of when the ad would be shown. Like either on first load of the game (current implementation for Facebook) or at the start or inbetween levels not during.

Adding a pre-roll ad would enable us to hopefully remove all current display ads which we have been told does/can impact game play.

speedy__XD likes this.
  5. Eric

Right now it is only on Facebook, showing 1 ad on first load per play session.

The idea would be to replace all current display ads in the web version of the game with non-intrusive ads at opportune game breaks like before starting a new level or just completing one.

6. Eric

Depending on how fb test goes, but removal of display ads while playing the game seems to be a really big pro in making the switch.

7. Sono

I would personally find this very repulsive.. TheEnd is right, it will disrupt the flow of playing the game. When you're in the zone, you don't want to be disrupted by someone telling you to buy their brand of toilet paper.

TheSouthAmericanGuy likes this.
  8. weem

weem FREE RIDER LEGEND Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    i have adblock so feel free to put ads everywhere on the website

9. Eric

I hear you guys and that is not our plan.

They would be placed at moments where it doesn't impact in the zone play and they wouldn't be shown frequently. So either before a track is played or in-between levels so that we can remove the current ads that are shown during play which players have complained about.

Yep we will serve extra ads to your accounts then. About 10-20% of people do use an ad blocker, other than purchasing coins which removes ads or watching videos for coins, ads are what support on-going development and support of the game.

Skeeny and speedy__XD like this.
  10. weem

weem FREE RIDER LEGEND Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    i have frhd pro so either way it doesnt matter :p

11. Stig

Stig Stig VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Why don't you do the ads thing instead of depending on donations of a crowd, of which the majority is underage (eventhough this partially goes against your kano-aps terms of service). I even rnoticed Char making a post encouraging people to buy pro in the contest forum so people might give out coins themselves from now on, without even mentioning the legal guardian thing. As you were to expect 10 year olds to have read the terms of service. Ofcourse you manage to avoid any legal matters, but I think the entire coin/pro system is unethical, considering the age-range of your crowd.
    I do think ads would be a good replacement to the coin/pro system for your income. But combining them seems really greedy. But, I don't have any insight on how the income is VS the outcome afterall, so this is just my own outside-perspective.
    Something to consider.

Also, I'm not interested in having suckup 14 year olds explain to me how you don't see any problem with this system. Go ask your parents if they share your thoughts. THEN, you are actually authorized to have an opposing thought, as long as it's shared by your parents (ref, kano apps terms of service). Which it most likely won't be. So please refrain from it, this is directed to the developers. and not you.

genericusername and weem like this.
  12. Sono

I understand that, but I've always loved how you could switch between tracks so easily and quickly.. Ads popping up will just annoy the hell out of me.

13. FREEZ

FREEZ Well-Known Member Official Author

"You think the FRHD pro is your ally? You merely adopted the pro. I was born with it. molded by it. I didn't play without it until I was already a man. But by then the ads meant nothing to me because of ad-block. The Pro betrays you because it belongs to me"

meme likes this.
  14. Dakoziol-2nd

Dakoziol-2nd Well-Known Member Official Author

I SWEAR IT WASN'T ME!!!

15. Dakoziol-2nd

Dakoziol-2nd Well-Known Member Official Author

Ok, serious. As long as it helps the game, I'm not going to be too upset about more ads.

16. Eric

There won't be more, if anything there will be less.

17. Eric

We gave a bunch of reasoning & thoughts behind points / coins and why we felt it was important to for progression tied to it to keep players more involved, can look back on that on why coins / points are in the game and those are still applicable.

As for legal guarding side of things, our hope is that anyone that is using the internet under the age of 18 has permission to do so from their parents and they are involved with what they are doing, if they aren't there are a bunch more scarier things on the internet than Free Rider HD. Our terms are pretty standard.

Allowing people to purchase coins + get a perk of no ads, gives people the choice to disable ads while still supporting the site. Purchasing coins removes ads, removing the option to remove ads while supporting the game doesn't make sense to me. Also fail to see how giving the option to remove ads while supporting the game is greedy.

The only reason we are looking at running ads at opportune moments that don't negatively impact game play is because with the current ads we have had players complain about them impacting performance of the game depending on what the ad is about.

18. Eric

That won't change, if anything it will load faster as we won't be loading as many ads (that would be the plan anyways).

19. MuazSag

MuazSag Well-Known Member Official Author

Anyone want to install Adblock ?

Todredrob likes this.
  20. speedy__XD

speedy__XD Well-Known Member Official Author

Personally I could live with either, however I would say that the way the current ads are doesn't bother me much and a pop up video may be more annoying. Either way it wouldn't stop me from playing the game but given the choice I would probably choose to stick with the current ad format :thumbsup:

Timrp, TheSouthAmericanGuy and codrey like this.