1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

Dec 12 - Chrome Webstore Launch

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Eric, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

Hey everyone,

If you signed up with an email that is a google account, you should be able to install the chrome web app and have it merge with your existing account.

If you did not sign up with a google account (google email), then installing the chrome web app will create a new account. We do not yet have the ability to merge accounts with different emails, so don't go installing the app unless you want a new account. Early next year we should have the ability to merge in different login methods for different emails.

FRHD Chrome Web App should be searchable in a couple hours, feel free to install the app and give us a rating you think is worthy! This is just one of several exciting launches to come, stay tuned!

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/free-rider-hd/emikpifndnjfkgofoglceekhkbaicbde

Pie42, FOIL, Corn and 2 others like this.
  2. jaketocake

jaketocake Well-Known Member

I remember CR had over 700k downloads of it's Chrome web app. I think that's what led to its main success/traffic.
    Maybe this will get just as many.

Pie42, FOIL, DarkPlant and 1 other person like this.
  3. TW80000

TW80000 Casual Member Official Author

Soooo, it just opens up freeriderhd.com? Or am I missing something?

Pie42 likes this.
  4. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

TW80000 At the moment yes. New users who install the app with have their account created automatically. Currently it does nothing more than act as a bookmark. Like jaketocake said, It exposes the site to a lot more people / traffic. The more people install, the more exposure we get.

In the near future however, we plan to have an actual chrome app that runs as if its native on your computer. This will allow for offline support as well.

Pie42, FOIL, Corn and 1 other person like this.
  5. TW80000

TW80000 Casual Member Official Author

Ah, cool cool. I don't use chrome regularly and never fully understood what the apps were for. Hopefully we get a lot of traffic, I want to see your team's work pay off and I hope this place can thrive.
    As for the offline, that would be just the editor, correct? Or will you allow people to download tracks to play offline?

Pie42 likes this.
  6. Eric

Char shhh that's top secret stuff! :)

But in all seriousness, Chrome Store Web App + Chrome Native App are distribution platforms that we are really interested in and think FRHD will do well in. As for what a Chrome Native App could be, editor being offline makes sense as well as a set of tracks which would likely be the Campaign mode that would be downloaded with the app, to access the community tracks, comments, rating, etc would all have to be online through the app.

We will have more info when we get further along building out the native app but we have a few more platforms we want to hit and those are top secret! :)

Pie42 and Corn like this.
  7. jaketocake

jaketocake Well-Known Member

Secrets don't make friends, and friends don't make secrets!

Pie42 likes this.
  8. Hashplant

Hashplant Active Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    That's well said

Pie42 likes this.
  9. Eric

Well lets say it will be a surprise! I like to only discuss things a couple steps ahead, we have a lot of work with campaigns and track creator before we hit Chrome Native App and things may change where it doesn't make sense to launch FRHD there. Ultimately any viable distribution platform out there, we want to take FRHD to.

Pie42 likes this.
  10. DarkPlant

DarkPlant Member

Or More :cool:

Pie42 likes this.
  11. ISLAMUSLIM

ISLAMUSLIM Active Member

12. ISLAMUSLIM

ISLAMUSLIM Active Member

13. ISLAMUSLIM

ISLAMUSLIM Active Member

14. niclauzon

niclauzon Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    How much downloads does the app have so far?

15. Eric

You can see Google's estimate of number of users but that doesn't seem to be very accurate.

In terms of numbers, don't want to get too specific as it could just create distractions/confusion but we crossed 100k sign-ups a month or so ago which is really good, especially since the web version you do not need an account to play and we have hit that number without any real marketing or promotion on our end.

niclauzon likes this.
  16. Max007x

Max007x Forum Moderator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Wow, those are some big numbers already! And it's still in Beta too. I think it really helps that you're really marketing the game this time around through social media (like, every single one of them :p). This seems to be already paying off for you guys. Now all I can wish for is some of those sing ups heading to the forums, so that we can get some new killer trackmakers !

FOIL, Char, Eric and 1 other person like this.