1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

Update Campaigns and other stuff

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Eric, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

Hey all,
    Just wanted to drop a note on status of campaigns and other stuff.

Campaigns: as of this afternoon we have an extreme beta version of campaigns functioning on our dev branch! Next week we will be finishing up remaining dev on campaigns as well as testing / selecting tracks. Char is out of office next week so we are hoping we can pull everything together for the first campaign the week of July 7th. Will try to post a video or something of what we have so far next week. We held a campaign track contest for classic authors only, but for our next one we would like to hold it open to the entire community. We are open to suggestions on what the next campaign theme should be, the first one was intro. For example, themes could be time frame Future, 1800's or Roman Empire, or whatever you think would make interesting levels Under Water, Fantasy, Dinosaurs, Downhill Trials, Stunts, etc... let us know what you would like to see and compete in! If we get enough suggestions we will set-up a poll or something.

Next week is a short week for us Canadians and I hear there is also a holiday on July 4th somewhere... anyways for us Canadians the holiday falls on a Tuesday which means a lot of the team members will be taking Monday off, so if you msg an admin may take a little longer than usual to get a response.

Other than that have a great weekend and hope you are as stoked as I am for campaigns! After the release of campaigns we will have a couple other announcements to make that will help grow the FRHD community even faster stay tuned!

2. speedy__XD

speedy__XD Well-Known Member Official Author

SWEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CAN NOT WAIT!! :D I am sooo excited for this :p and for these "other announcements" ^^ :p Umm I would suggest something that is easy for a lot of people to draw for the theme. MAYBE the theme could be something like a bike park (something like whistler?) (You Canadians should know about that right?) Anyway we could give it a name pre-contest and then everyone could make their own interpretation of a bike park. Each campaign level could be a different part of the park and all 10 (or however many) making the whole bike park. Also if you do open up the next contest and announce it on the FRHD site I think you will see a decent increase in forum activity and registration :p ANyway I am eager to see what the campaign will look like (and which levels will be in it!! :p ) haha okay I'm done..

THEMONSTER likes this.
  3. Blaze06h

Blaze06h Well-Known Member

Mouth watering...
    I vote for Future.
    Also, if the first campaign will be Intro, then newcomers coming that week will be the only people who will be benefited from it? Campaigns are weekly tracks?

speedy__XD likes this.
  4. speedy__XD

I m under the impression that campaign tracks will always be listed. Once a campaign track always one (I think) So any future newcomer should benefit?

5. Blaze06h

So, they add tracks every week? Well, then that's fine.
    We are excited about Campaigns when we ourselves don't know what exactly it is.

6. speedy__XD

Yea hard to say? I know they said something about every week. But also people seemed to want about two weeks to do the contest that way if you didn't see it in the first few days you still had time so I could see something like doing 3-4 new campaign contests every 2 months. At least until the campaign becomes more solidified, then I can see it slowing down a little and the contest becoming a bigger deal and being larger and much harder to get a track in. But I really have no idea? I am just excited!! >: P

7. LucJohnson

LucJohnson Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    lol can't wait for it either

8. Jefe

Jefe Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Sounds nice. Keep up the good work.
    Also, when will a chat-room be real?

9. Eric

We have played around with a couple options but have been focusing on campaigns. Would you like to see chat integrated with the forum or the game?

10. Eric

For campaigns they will work like this:
    • each campaign will have about 10 tracks or so, the 1st campaign will be an intro / beginner tracks
    • each campaign we plan to hold a community contest were winners will get their tracks featured in the campaign (this is the plan for campaign 2)
    • the idea is that players will have to beat a track in the campaign to unlock the next track (by default 2 unbeaten campaign tracks will be unlocked)
    • campaign tracks will give a bronze for completing, silver for getting an intermediate time for the track and gold for getting an expert time for the track.
    Our goals with campaigns are the following:
    • give new and old players progression and opportunity to teach players how to play (beat this track to earn coins/pts and to unlock the next track)
    • contests for track authors to get their tracks featured in campaigns

speedy__XD likes this.
  11. Blaze06h

Just 1 more query.
    You said beating a track will unlock the next one.
    But will players be able to play previous campaigns. Or do you have to complete a set of 10 tracks to play the next set, i.e. newcomers will always see the Intro Campaign.
    I don't seem to find this answered in that post.

speedy__XD likes this.
  12. speedy__XD

Sounds awesome :) Can not wait!!! :D

13. speedy__XD

I think that it will work to where the first track of campaign 2 is like the 11th track so you would have to finish campaign 1 to unlock #2 if you were a new player. That is my impression

14. FreeRiderHDRider

FreeRiderHDRider New Member

I think it would be better to have the chat room in the forum, because it would not only bring more attention to the forum, but also it would not make the game slower like on FR3.

niclauzon, speedy__XD and la5erbeam like this.
  15. FREEZ

FREEZ Well-Known Member Official Author

I think that the next campaign should be advanced Intro.
    How to do a backflip and when.
    how to pump and when (I still haven't mastered this)
    Why multiple black lines along the same plane makes the rider go faster.
    And other stuff like this.

16. FREEZ

FREEZ Well-Known Member Official Author

Oh and a detailing track would also be nice. "Guide to Detailing" would be an awesome pick for that
    (im working on an "Easy Detail" track my self)

17. speedy__XD

I too would vote for chat in forum

18. Sono

Sono Well-Known Member Official Author

I'm so excited for this :D ..
    I think the theme should stick to the most common one found within the Free Rider community: dirt jumps or mountain. This way you could slowly introduce the newer players into what they will see a lot of within the community. Not only that, but those tracks are easy to make, and won't frustrate new players if they wish to try and make a track with that theme. (For example, a dirt jump is a lot easier to make than a Roman Temple or whatever).
    But, a newer theme demonstrating the awesomeness of FRHD's range of themes will also work, hopefully "wowing" the player and bringing them back for more. I can see futuristic tracks having this effect.

Regarding speedy__XD 's idea about the bike park, I think it would be too difficult for newer players to complete bike park tracks, as they tend to have a lot of tricky landings, as well as many not-so-smooth ramps. This may frustrate the player and cause them to give up and leave.

That's just my input on some ideas.

PS. Happy Canada Day! Eric Velksy Char Ira :D

Velksy and Ira like this.
  19. speedy__XD

Yea I could see that, it was just an idea.. I think I would vote for dirt jumps if it came between mountain and dirt jumps

Sono likes this.
  20. niclauzon

niclauzon Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Just saying guys, the selection for tracks to be in the campaign is already there.
    Log off and look at the beginners tab, these are the (main) candidates for the campaign.

speedy__XD likes this.