1. Hey Guest, the full FRHD All-Time Top 100 Ghosters 2023 Edition is out now

Click here to check it out.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Miniature Circle 2024 Contest - Click here to check it out!

Hey Guest, the announcement post for the Miniature Circle 2024 Contest, a trackmaking contest hosted by Elibloodthirst, is out. Go check it out if you are interested!
    Dismiss Notice

Update FRHD Web Update(s)

Discussion in 'Game changes and Updates' started by Eric, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Eric

Eric Administrator Staff Member Administrator Forum Moderator Official Author

Thanks for pointing out issues with the refresh. I think we have them mostly nailed down now (including blurry icons, etc). We will be making one last push this afternoon to fix some miss sized logos as well as a Draw Track Export/Import issue. If you see any more issues please let us know and we will do our best to get them patched.

We have started to expose tracks that we detect as AUTO or HOLDUP and are marking them as such. Not all tracks have been "crawled" yet, but expect most will by the end of next week. Some tracks that can be completed as a "HOLDUP" or "AUTO" will get marked as such, like this one https://www.freeriderhd.com/t/458684-lush

[​IMG]

2. Skeeny

Skeeny Well-Known Member Official Author

Eric... seriously man. The typeface for the database and the colours are seriously out of wack. They look bad. The black and white looked cleaner. But anyhow.... this is a good idea, although some tracks you can ride normally AND hold up. What are you going to do about those?

3. Eric

Typeface for Titles? Do you have any specific examples / suggestions?

Track example?

Skeeny likes this.
  4. E12

E12 Well-Known Member Official Author

I think this feature could be cool, but why is Lush labeled as a hold-up?

Skrampt likes this.
  5. Char

Char Free Rider HD Developer Official Author

We're still perfecting the algorithm

6. Eric

Also because you can beat it by just holding up - https://www.freeriderhd.com/t/458684-lush/r/eric

Basically any tracks that can be beaten by not pressing a control will get labeled AUTO and any track that it is possible to just hold up will get labeled HOLDUP. We could make it that "holdup" is required at start but this seems like a pretty rare case.

E12 likes this.
  7. E12

E12 Well-Known Member Official Author

Oh ok I was thinking from the start, now I see how it's possible after waiting a bit. I personally think it would be better if you made it so it only shows HOLD UP if it's a holdup from the start, but I see what you mean.

8. Phase

Phase Well-Known Member Official Author

That wasn't a HOLD UP, you just forgot to start up right away, and are you saying you're making autos illegal?

9. Eric

Agreed - we overlooked that case. But I would guess that this will cover 99% of the HOLDUP cases.

Phase and E12 like this.
  10. Eric

Nope, just calling out what the track is. Post as many AUTOS as you like!

Phase and Skrampt like this.
  11. Phase

I already pmed you this in a conversation, but in case you don't check your conversation notifications I posted it here too.

You really need to add another level of authors, advertise on other applications and websites, and add a new level of campaigns. As I've been looking at what most players want and their needs I've realized that the community really needs another level of author and new campaigns. I also have realized that it would be a lot harder for players to cheat the track economy by alting if y'all attracted new players. Updating Free Rider is only affective if it helps the overall community's needs. The latest like tab update was pointless to a player and won't help Kano Apps increase profits. If you bother to continue to read you will understand why you administrators should add an elite author, advertise on other platforms, and add new campaigns.

Players and even Eric have suggested an idea called an elite author which will finally make everyone more happy with a more elite standard and could cause players to work harder on their tracks. This will improve the overall quality of tracks and reduce the amount of players leaving. The idea proposed by Eric is right here. You could also have multiple author levels as well as a hot list and trending list with only a certain level of your choice. There could be a drop down menu that filters out unofficial authors, official authors, elite authors, or VIP authors. This could really clean up Free Rider's way to search for quality tracks and increase player activity. Adding another level of authorship will really help Free Rider HD.

In addition to adding another level of authorship, Kano Apps should advertise on other platforms other than Free Rider itself. I understand that it costs money to advertise on websites and apps, but once you advertise on other platforms you will attract a lot more players and they might click on one of your ads and then you increase profits. You also can advertise on websites related to drawing which has a strong correlation to track quality. Advertising can also help reduce corruption of the game due to alting and like phising. Advertising on other websites and applications can rapidly increase profits and player activity.

Furthermore, Kano Apps needs to add another installment of campaigns. Most active members have already completed all of the campaigns and have probably have started to forget that they even exist, or their purpose on Free Rider HD. If you add new campaigns to Free Rider, just imagine the commotion and it will probably be more exciting than if lolz666 uploaded 10 featured worthy tracks in one day and said he would return. Most of my inexperienced friends at my school only play the campaigns, and left as soon as they completed them all. That is why you see a lot of players leave after about a month. If y'all add new campaigns, then you will attract old players and save some players from leaving.

If you listen to what people are saying in the idea category, then you can understand what is corrupting the game and reducing Kano App's profits with this game. Only if you update to the needs of players, can you have a chance to save Free Rider from becoming extinct, because I don't see Free Rider existed in a year without one of these three update ideas. You really need to add another level of authors, advertise on other applications and websites, and add a new level of campaigns to save Free Rider from its near doom.

I hope you take this into consideration for one of your next updates. If you have any questions relating the topic just ask me.

Osiris likes this.
  12. Skeeny

Skeeny Well-Known Member Official Author

Yeah, actually all the type in general. It looks a little more "cheap" and less smart. And I think the problem of the DB is the colour choice. The colour scheme worked really well with the black and white. But maybe a nice grey will do it (basically what it was but a different shade maybe, I dunno). It veered too far away from it's original look of 'Free rider HD'. If ever you want to change an original aspect of the game, don't go too off track is what I'm saying. I'll be honest with you guys (because that's what will help the most), but it isn't as appealing. You guys did a way better job with the black and white. In fact it was really good. So clean and I think it has now gone to a "cheap" look. But yeah, that's my opinion tho and I hope I can help.:) as for the main suggestion: keep the originality of the site. Always keep that in mind. I don't know the designer of the website (sorry if it is you lol) but keep it original. I can't stress it enough. It is starting to look a little like "the other gaming website". Sorry if I'm being harsh, but I'm giving you the best advice a dev can ask for: honesty from it's members.

As for the hold ups thing, I have a track called Mario kart pixel art and you don't have to hold up but you can. :p
    Cheers Eric

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    EthMan likes this.
  13. weem

weem FREE RIDER LEGEND Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    i like the auto/holdup label, i was going to suggest having an auto/holdup section but this is better.

14. cctvcctvcctv

cctvcctvcctv Well-Known Member

I like the this way better than the new site look, though I still think it needs some improving.
    It's a nice idea to label these tracks as such and such, but after a bit of time on the site, not all of the tracks were holdups (eg lush) or autos.
    Do you perhaps mean that the up arrow can be held throughout the entire track on it's own, or do you have to add the support of the other controls WHILE still holding up?

15. Phase

You have to fix deleting a tab request, because I just lost 300 Kb worth of work for my collab with pssst and I accidentally pressed delete tab and I just lost 300 Kbps worth of work, I'm so fking pissed rn you don't understand. It didn't do this before the update and now I don't know if I want to finish the collab.

Elibloodthirst likes this.
  16. Elibloodthirst

Elibloodthirst You're about to miss EVERYTHING VIP Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Did you not save your track

weem likes this.
  17. pssst

pssst Forum Legend Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    Send the code my way. I'll work on it tonight.

AntiSocial likes this.
  18. weem

weem FREE RIDER LEGEND Elite Author Official Author

Awarded Medals
    baby.PNG
    why is my character having a baby plz fix

e; oh wait thats part of the bike lol

19. JerryAxi

JerryAxi Well-Known Member Official Author

Awarded Medals
    I really like this idea and support it, but my track isn't a hold up, your ghost isn't starting at the right place when you started holding up. I'm afraid that people will see this label and think that my track "broke", thus downvoting it. Plus, even if it was a hold up, it's pretty clear that it wasn't intended to be one. May I ask you to remove that label from my track?

BrandonBishop50 likes this.
  20. BrandonBishop50

BrandonBishop50 FRHD News Team Official Author

What about hold up and left's, hold down's, etc.?

Edit; the labels don't show in recently played, ghosts, or created.